Thursday, February 18, 2010

So Many Decisions

Before this class began, I didn't realize how many decisions need to be made in the U.S. School system. I know that there are always multiple ways to go about making decisions, but it seems as though the decisions for schools are much more complicated. I feel this is mainly because school is so intertwined with every other aspect of society, but yet not always valued as much. Through the exercises in which we had to pick students for accelerated programs, deal with student eligibility, and decide what budget cuts were to be made, I saw how many conflicting views there can be, and what values certain teachers hold. Choosing students off of a piece of paper just showed how we categorize students based on standardized test scores, socioeconomic status, and race. This activity showed me that there is more to decision making than just the black and white facts of the matter. Getting to know students personally is the most important part, and I think that should be translated into larger scale decision making too.

No comments:

Post a Comment