religion based ideals, but do many teachers? At public schools, students are taught manners, respect, and community building skills, but those are never allowed to be associated with any religion. I think it is simple to separate the values taught at school and at home/church, because students can know WHY they are being nice, friendly, and compassionate, but not have to outwardly express their reasons for their actions. In my classroom, there was a student from India, who was Hindu. She never had to act a different way because of her religion, and would just practice it at home. All of the things that she was taught at school did not clash with her beliefs, and were just basic human lessons. I would hope that every preacher, like the one in the skit would realize that you can teach humanistic values without teaching religious values.
Saturday, February 27, 2010
Religious Reasons
While watching the skits today, I was especially interested in the "values clarification." I didn't realize how varied the "values" of different areas of the US are. I think that many people have
religion based ideals, but do many teachers? At public schools, students are taught manners, respect, and community building skills, but those are never allowed to be associated with any religion. I think it is simple to separate the values taught at school and at home/church, because students can know WHY they are being nice, friendly, and compassionate, but not have to outwardly express their reasons for their actions. In my classroom, there was a student from India, who was Hindu. She never had to act a different way because of her religion, and would just practice it at home. All of the things that she was taught at school did not clash with her beliefs, and were just basic human lessons. I would hope that every preacher, like the one in the skit would realize that you can teach humanistic values without teaching religious values.
religion based ideals, but do many teachers? At public schools, students are taught manners, respect, and community building skills, but those are never allowed to be associated with any religion. I think it is simple to separate the values taught at school and at home/church, because students can know WHY they are being nice, friendly, and compassionate, but not have to outwardly express their reasons for their actions. In my classroom, there was a student from India, who was Hindu. She never had to act a different way because of her religion, and would just practice it at home. All of the things that she was taught at school did not clash with her beliefs, and were just basic human lessons. I would hope that every preacher, like the one in the skit would realize that you can teach humanistic values without teaching religious values.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that is a good point. Most values and ethics are in line with most religions, as they all say similar things about how to treat people, because that is the way society works best. The worry is all in the why. People who are passionate about their religion care about why people do things, because often they believe that no good thing can come unless it is from God. While teaching honesty and integrity might seem like a reasonable thing to do, there are people that say that honest people who don't know God aren't really getting it. This is a difficult issue but I think schools do have a responsibility to teach kids that there is a core set of values under which the laws of our nation operate.
ReplyDelete