Saturday, April 25, 2009

An Unending Debate

In one of our Monday night classes, we did a role playing activity, where we were introduced to a new plan for education. We took on the roles of community members and teachers of various subjects and levels. It is a very interesting experience when a whole society proposes their ideas about education, because we take into account the goals and expectations of everyone as a whole, not just the educators. As a business person, I was very upset about students who came out of high school without knowing basic skills. We had a very different view of education than the teachers, because our goals involve money and knowledge needed to fill jobs. It's difficult to have the same goals for all students while still implementing this individualized education that educators feel is so important. Since every student has unique abilities and talents, the goal of education should be to cater to those. I completely understand that students need to be able to do their jobs and stay in school until they are qualified. I'm not sure how much I agree with the proposal that was described to us. Iowa Tests of Basic Skills should not be the standard of learning. I think that teachers are able to assess student learning in so many other ways that are a better indication of improvement and ability. I do think that more students should be held back, and maybe the negative stigmas that go along with that would lessen. Standardized tests should also not determine if students graduate high school, because many students will not need that test information for their occupations. I do agree with the increased parent participation and teacher training. Improving the content to be relevant and then engaging the students and teachers around that would be ideal. This plan is controversial and flawed, but with adjustments, I think it could be put into action.

No comments:

Post a Comment